Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Saturday, August 14, 2010

GLUTEN-FREE CORN-FREE TACO SHELLS




Well, both of my kids are in school all day now. I have more time on my hands, even if it does go by quickly. I've had this idea for awhile, but just didn't have the time to put in to do it. I miss tacos! I loved blue corn taco shells. I really loved them. So I got a bag of forbidden black rice for the color, and went from there. You will need a taco shell rack/pan.




           

                                                  Forbidden Rice Taco Shells


2 cups cooked forbidden black rice
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup brown rice flour
4 tablespoons Spectrum shortening or shortening of choice
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda



First I pureed the black rice and shortening,then added baking soda and salt, tapioca and brown rice flour and blended for a few minutes. The dough should be a little sticky but roll up into a ball easily. I used wax paper on top and bottom to flatten the dough by hand or a rolling pin into thin flat disks. Not too thin or they will fall apart and crack while baking. I had a 6 1/2 saucer that I used for a guide and just press the saucer to get your round edge. Carefully peel off the top layer of wax paper. Remove the excess dough around then edge and lay onto rack and peel off the bottom layer. Preheat the oven to 375. Bake on middle rack for 20 minutes. Remove from rack. I made 12 shells, depending on your thickness you could get more or less.





7 comments:

  1. I love these, great flavor! I could eat them alone with nothing in them!

    Tanya F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tanya, they are really good in a taco salad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use any rice, just make sure your rice isn't too wet or it will be sticky. You can always add a little brown rice flour at a time to fix that. The black rice doesn't get mushy like other rice grains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are amazing! i love the color of the forbidden rice "flour". can i add them to http://fuckyeahvegantacos.tumblr.com/?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I am sorry I am just seeing this! I'm not getting messages when people post questions! I am so sorry I missed it! I've been on a little hiatus homeschooling my son with autism since January and I am getting back to my blog now. Yes, you can share my recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way. Corn free tacos! This looks great. But I don't have a taco pan thing. But nice to know recipes like this is out there!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorites